Followers

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Zdzislaw Beksinski (Feb. 24, 1929 - Feb. 21, 2005)

Last Sunday was the 5th anniversary of tragic death of one of the most remarkable Polish painter. Zdzislaw Beksinski is known for his distressing, fantastic paints. He was also a photographer, scupltor and in 1960s and 1970s worked as stylist of prototype buses. The subjects of his works included death, senility, pain, suffering, deformed skeletons and horrific destroyed landscapes. The contrast to the subject was the soft colour palette. You can feel melancholy or despair while watching his paints. I would compare his creations to HR Giger's. I couldn't believe when I read about his death. A few days before I've read large interview about his job, his life, his plans for the future. He was murdered  in his own flat by a teenager who he knew because he didn't want to borrow some money. I feel sorrow that so big talent, one of my favourite artists finished his life in such circumstances. I made sure a few times that it's really about this Beksinski.


 I recommend The Dmochowski Gallery website with the biggest collection of Beksinski's works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment